Thursday, April 22, 2010

LAUGHTER ... UPROARIOUS AND WONDERFUL MEDICINE!

Laughter really is a great medicine. Was at rehearsals tonight, running through Act I. Everything that could go wrong ... went wrong. The scene in Jud Frys Smokehouse, which should be terribly dark and menacing, will be seen in a much different light after tonight's showing. I'm not even going to try to explain or describe what happened, because telling jokes was never my forte ... you really would have to be there. The cast that were not involved in this particular scene sat out front in the stalls to watch what was going on. (After all, it is a good idea, that they know what the show they are in, is about...don't you agree?) When the roll of mishaps started to unfurl, the place erupted. The theatre that started off its life as a presbyterian church, shook with gales and howls of laughter tonight. Strictly speaking, I think I would have been forgiven if I had become stressfully irate, but truthfully, I found the shambles that unfolded in front of my eyes, hilariously entertaining. It was like Charlie Chaplin meets Lucille Ball meets the Keystones Cops meets Brian Rix meets John Cleese. My face ached with laughter ... long time since I laughed like that!

The cast were doubled up! I feel certain this episode will be the topic of conversation down in Daly's bar for the next few weeks. Most of those involved with putting on a show like this, work all day, rush to get dinner, put children to bed etc, and then rush down to rehearsals. I think the shenannagins of tonight was just what we all needed, and a much needed reminder, that even though the show should be up to scratch for personal fulfilment and the paying audiences, it is extremely important that the experience and journey of rehearsal is fun .... well we certainly had that this evening ... in bucketloads! Reminded me too of another favourite film of mine, based on a play, 'Noises Off'. It is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. It stars actors, Michael Caine and Denholm Elliot. It is divided into three parts:the rehearsal process from front of stage; the mayhem backstage during rehearsals; the actual performance front and back stage. You don't have to be a stage animal to enjoy this movie by the way, so check it out.

While I'm on the subject of funny movies and what tickles me; I think the film that made me laugh the most on two separate occasions, (I mean so much so, that I had to leave the room and hold onto something to support me), was 'The Three Fugitives', starring Nick Nolte and Martin Short. Even thinking about it now, makes me laugh. Another favourite, which I watched for the second time last week, is 'My Cousin Vinnie', starring Joe Pesce and Marissa Tomei, who won a best supporting actress Oscar for her part as the long-suffering girlfriend of the rather unorthodox, unqualified lawyer played by Mr Pesce, who we've come to associate with the psychotic gangster. They were sheer magic together! Films such as 'House Sitter' starring Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn, 'Father of the Bride' starring Steve Martin and Diane Keaton, 'Meet the Fockers' starring Robert De Niro, 'Anger Management' starring Jack Nicholson would all come way up on my list of funny films.

Anyway I'm heading to bed, tired but still laughing and it feels so ... so good. Thank God for the gift of laughter!

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment